How many times were you asked this today?! Mondays are usually pretty low-key and sombre. But this particular Monday, it was even more so. It's hard to believe that 5 years have passed since that terrible day. I remember being in a meeting. And the room we were meeting in had glass doors and throughout the meeting, I'd occasionally glance out to the office and I noticed people slowly gathering around computers. The look on the faces of my co-workers was a combination of concern and bewilderment. Once the meeting was over, we exited the office and went to one of the computers and we asked what was going on?! And someone said simply "a plane flew into the World Trade Center". My initial reaction "oh what a terrible accident". In the moments that followed, as my co-workers/friends and I watched the breaking news through streaming video, we saw the second plane fly into the other tower, we knew it wasn't an accident. Even though we saw it with our own eyes, we still didn't believe it. The thought even crossed my mind...hey, wait was that a replay or did the worst thing ever just happen again? No way. Way. Aside from the obviously devastating outcome, it proved that terrorist activities don't happen just 'over there' or 'somewhere else'. It happened right in our backyard.
As I was walking to work this morning, the events of that day rolled through my mind, along with thoughts of what it must be like to live in fear on a daily basis. Right now, in some foreign country 'over there', someone could be standing on the corner waiting for the Walk light when a car drives by and a split second later, explodes. Even though Thanksgiving is about a month away, I want to express how thankful I am that I live in a country where if I'm at the crosswalk on a rainy day, my biggest concern is staying far enough away from the puddle that I don't get splashed by a passing car.
Freedom took on a whole new meaning that day.
Just keep livin'...
No comments:
Post a Comment