Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pass the pepper...

My friend Jon is currently wrapping up his training at RCMP Depot in Regina. From his monthly emails, AKA The Regina Monologues, it sounds like he's having a blast...well I guess blast would be a bit of a stretch. He has to go through a meticulous regimen of boot polishing, physical training, tactical maneovring, etc. He also got pepper sprayed a little while ago. I guess it wasn't so pleasant...here's his account of the ordeal:

"Yes, I finally got OC Sprayed 2 weeks ago. It all started about 2:00, I was in line, I went to the back because I wanted to see the reaction of everybody else, before I received it. However, the Facilitator decided to go from the back, so I was the 5th person to get sprayed, damn it, strike 1. The spray itself doesn't hurt right away, it took about 4 seconds. You have to stand there with your eyes spread open with your finger too make sure that the stuff runs in. To compare Jalepeno peppers to OC Spray, Jalepeno peppers are at 5000 Scoville Units, OC is anywhere from 750 000 to 1 500 000 Scoville Units, to summarize, it's stings like a bitch. Anyways, back to my story, so after spreading my eyes open, the stuff finally hits me, it feel like heated up shards of glass being shot into my eyes. This pain subsidded in about 20 minutes, then the burning starts to take over (strike 2). Anywhere the spray has touched instantly feels like burning oil all over, which makes sense since the stuff is oil based. Then, because god loves me, the sun comes out, and oil + sun = extreme torture (strike 3). This pain last for about another hour. I also forgot to mention that the bodies nature defence to empty all your sinuses also comes in, so it wasn't a very pretty situation, at least I wasn't the guy who got a mouthful. All in all, it sucks, and I never want to get that done again, however, if anybody wants to volunteer, i'd be more then willing to spray you guys!"

Jon, along with his wife Tara and their dog Kylie, will be moving out to North Vancouver next month. I hope they treat them well out there.

Book 'em Jonny!

PS Jon's troop was recently on The Rick Mercer Report. Check it out...He told us that he was in the very last shot in the back left row.

No comments: